SAHM members are encouraged to volunteer for committees on which they would like to serve each year. Committee members will be appointed by the President based on bylaws requirements, space available, the needs of the committee, applicant interest and expertise and demographic balance.
Committee members have access to communities
in My SAHM, where they are invited to network, share documents, keep in touch and carry on committee work. Members: log into My SAHM
and look for My Communities
in the menu.
The following committees conduct much of SAHM's business week to week and year to year.
- Krishna K. Upadhya, MD, MPH (Chair)
- Identify the substantive issues that will be priorities for SAHM advocacy efforts
- Develop and/or review requests from other organizations to sign onto letters to members of Congress and the White House. Join in congressional testimony consistent with SAHM priorities and stated policies
- Develop workshops or institutes for presentation at Annual SAHM Meetings
- Deborah Christie, PhD, FSAHM (Chair)
Supervise the work of the Career, Research and Service Sub-Committees.
Awards - Career Sub-Committee
- Eleni Lantzouni, MD (Chair)
Determine the recipients of the Outstanding Achievement in Adolescent Medicine Award and the Student and Fellow-in-Training Career Development Awards.
Awards - Research Sub-Committee
- Devon J. Hensel, PhD, FSAHM (Chair)
Determine the recipient of the SAHM/Iris F. Litt Visiting Professor in Adolescent Health Research (both the site and the professor), the Diabetes Award, and the New Investigator Award recipient and finalists.
Awards - Service Sub-Committee
- Lynn Rew, EdD, MSN (Chair)
Determine the recipient of the Millar Award for Innovative Approaches to Adolescent Health Care and the recipient of the SAHM/Adele D. Hofmann Visiting Professor in Adolescent Medicine and Health (both the site and the professor).
Health Services Committees
Health Services Sub-Committees offer members the opportunity to:
- Become an expert panel on a selected crucial adolescent health issue.
- Review, revise and /or create appropriate positions on this topic for SAHM.
- Advise the Executive Committee, the Board of Directors and the Advocacy, Communications, Research and Education Committees of opportunities to demonstrate this expertise.
- Respond to inquiries from the public and the press in collaboration with the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
Health Services - ADHD Sub-committee - Steve W. North, MD, MPH (Chair)
Health Services - Alcohol and Drugs Sub-Committee - Eva M. Moore, MD, MSPH (Chair)
Health Services - Chronic Illness Sub-Committee - Lisa K. Tuchman, MD, MPH (Chair)
Health Services - Eating Disorders Sub-Committee - Cynthia J. Kapphahn, MD, MPH (Chair)
Health Services - Electronic Health Records Sub-Committee - Carolyn B. Jasik, MD (Chair)
Health Services - GLBT Sub-Committee - David S. Reitman, MD, FSAHM (Chair)
Health Services - STI/HIV/AIDS Sub-Committee - Errol L. Fields, MD, PhD, MPH (Chair)
Health Services - Nutrition and Obesity Sub-Committee - Alicia D. Docter, MS, RD (Chair)
Health Services - Reproductive Health Sub-Committee - Kathleen P. Tebb, PhD (Chair)
Health Services - Vaccinations Sub-Committee - Beth Auslander, PhD (Chair)
Health Services - Violence Sub-Committee - Eric J. Sigel, MD (Chair)
Communications & Media Relations Committee
- Collaborate on press releases and communication strategy.
- Educate the public on adolescent medicine/health by developing a variety of communication avenues.
Communications - Website Sub-Committee
- Stephenie Wallace, MD, MSPH (Chair)
- Develop educational content for adolescents, parents, and the public.
- Review and recommend proposed links.
- Work with SAHM committees on website strategy.
FSAHM Review Committee - Pierre-Paul Tellier, MD, FSAHM (Chair)
- Anisha Abraham, MD, MPH (Chair)
- Develop and implement an annual appeal with broad options for financial support of SAHM by members.
- Develop and implement a mechanism to maintain and expand industry support for the annual meeting and other SAHM programs.
- Develop and implement a mechanism to expand corporate support for SAHM.
- Explore the development of revenue-producing programs and projects.
- Maria Veronica Svetaz, MD, MPH, FSAHM (Chair)
- Support the discovery and dissemination of knowledge that includes diverse perspectives and reflects the racial and ethnic diversity of the population.
- Advocate on behalf of policies to promote health among diverse populations of adolescents and reduce racial/ethnic adolescent health inequities.
- Construct a workforce development plan that emphasizes outreach and recruitment of providers from diverse backgrounds.
- Create an educational plan to bring tools that increase knowledge and skills in working with diverse adolescent populations.
- Improve the integration of ethnic/racial/sexual diversity and inclusiveness into international, national, regional and local SAHM activities.
- Mandy S. Coles, MD, MPH, FSAHM (Chair)
- Develop an education plan for SAHM in consultation with the Director of Programs, the Program Committee and the Communications Committee.
- Develop a long-range plan for content areas and delivery mechanisms for major educational activities and how such activities may be integrated:ÂÊ annual meeting, JAH (e.g., review articles), website, etc.
- In consultation with the Website Committee, recommend a plan for redevelopment of the website, including content and delivery of educational programming electronically (e.g., distant learning, links to other appropriate websites and educational materials, webcasts from annual meetings and other meetings to members unable to attend), communication modalities with the membership (increasing communication with and among regional chapters and individual membership, etc.)ÂÊ
Multidisciplinary Membership Committee
- Lawrence J. D'Angelo, MD, MPH, FSAHM (Chair)
- Develop and implement a plan to recruit SAHM members from the professional disciplines of medicine, nursing, psychology, dietetics, social work and public health.
- Develop and implement a plan to promote and retain student/trainee membership in SAHM in all disciplines, and coordinate the plan for an enlarged mentorship program.
- In consultation with the Website Committee, use the website to communicate the depth and diversity of the multidisciplinary SAHM membership by featuring (with photos and bio-sketches) members from a range of disciplines and work settings.
- Coordinate the matching of annual meeting registrants who want to have a designated Meeting Mentor with senior SAHM members attending the Annual Meeting who have volunteered to be ÂÊmentors .
- Elizabeth Miller, MD, PhD, FSAHM (Chair)
- Explore linkages to professional organizations with common research interests, such as the Society for Research on Adolescence.
- Encourage the conduct of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research including the development of models for the annual meeting and for the Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Propose research programs at the annual meeting that will be of interest to investigators across multiple disciplines at all levels of expertise.
- Serve as a resource for investigators regarding the legal and ethical issues involving adolescents as subjects of research.
- Collaborate with members of SAHM’s two Special Interest Groups (Qualitative Research and Research with Adolescents) and the Professional Development Luncheon Group on Researchers in Adolescent Health.
Ad-Hoc Committees of the Board of Directors:
Finance Committee - Tanya L. Mullins, MD, MS, FSAHM (Chair)
Nominations Committee - Michael D. Resnick, PhD, FSAHM (Chair)
Policies and Procedures Committee
- Gina Sucato, MD, MPH (Chair)
- Organize annual meetings for the Society
- Review and select workshops, plenaries and institutes for annual meeting
- Collaborate with Abstract Review Sub-Committee in overseeing the abstract submission process